Love it or hate it Valentines day is imminent. The ‘pink’ and ‘blue’, clearly oblivious to the merchandising fiasco taking place in London have kissed and made up in recent days and there is a lot more love in the air, which is a relief to the accident prevention committee. Wind and rain seem to be somewhat prevalent as well, and as ‘Blighty’ gets hit one storm after another, I can’t help but wish, roll on spring. I love our seasons but this one has all gone ‘squiffy’, no snow, much to this families disgust, and enough rain to irrigate Africa. Thankfully I am saved from getting too morose by a few rather pretty pink numbers that shine though this rather grey time of year. Hello my friends the blood orange, forced pink rhubarb and the pomegranate.
February fruit salad : Blood orange, pink rhubarb and pomegranate
- 1 Blood Orange
- 2 sticks of rhubarb
- ¼ pomegranate seeded
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180. Wash the rhubarb and cut into 1 inch batons. Pop on some foil on a baking sheet and toss with the maple syrup and caster sugar. Roast in the oven till just soft – about 15 minutes – do check it – you don’t want a puree!
2. Deseed the pomegranate and carefully segment the orange making sure to cut away any of the bitter white pith.
3. Pop all the ingredients in a bowl and mix gently – serve with clotted cream or Greek Yogurt.
Perfect Valentines fare !!
This recipe was originally written for Mybaba – the most wonderful encyclopaedic online blog for anything and everything to do with pregnancy, babies, motherhood and parenting. Please do take a peek it is gorgeous and has pots of information on everything you ever need to or want to know; http://www.mybaba.com/